Dear family in Christ
We commemorate Palm Sunday today. Jesus Christ had set his heart to walk the way of the cross to Calvary. He rode into Jerusalem city on a humble donkey (Matthew 21:1-11). The Jewish crowd had the expectant hope of the conquering Messiah and king who would come to liberate them from the tyrannical Romans. As they followed Jesus along the city streets, they shouted, “Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!” But a few days later, loud voices cried out, “Crucify him! Crucify him!”.
As we go into Holy Week, let us keep our focus on Jesus Christ and His sacrificial obedience to the will of God the Father. As we remember the series of events during this significant week, may our hearts be filled with gratitude and our wills be resolved to walk the way of the cross.
- Washing the disciples’ feet (John 13:1-17): Servanthood, humility and love for one another must be the hallmark of a committed disciple of Jesus.
- Passover meal (Matthew 26:17-29): Jesus instituted the Lord’s Supper (body and blood) as an important remembrance of God’s new covenant of grace.
- Garden of Gethsemane (Matthew 26:36-46): Jesus was in deep agony and sorrow, yet He was fully obedient to the will of His Father.
- Betrayal, arrest, trial (Luke 22:47 – 23:25): Jesus was mocked, beaten and humiliated, yet He was meek, “like a lamb that is led to the slaughter”.
- Crucifixion, death, burial (Luke 23:33-56): In great suffering and painful shame, Jesus gave His life sacrificially on the cross in atonement for the sins of the world.
- Resurrection (Matthew 28:1-10): He is Risen. Praise and thanks be to God for the victory over sin and death, and the blessed hope of eternal life in Jesus Christ.
“I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” Galatians 2:20