History

hist_19In 1872, church work in Jurong was initiated by Rev. William Gomes, Superintendent of St. Andrew’s Mission and Mr. Cheok Loi Fatt. The congregation consisted mainly of farmers. Back then, the common Chinese dialects used in Jurong were Teochew, Hakka and Hokkien.

In 1884, the building of St. John’s Church, Jurong (“SJJ”) was finally completed on the piece of land donated by Mr. Tay. A Blessing and Dedication Service was conducted by Bishop Hose.

In 1989, the Singapore Government gave notice that the land of SJJ would be repossessed in 1992. And in 1990 SJJ was given the hall in St. Margaret’s Secondary School to worship. As a result, the name was changed to St. John’s Chapel (“SJCp”).

Download our 120th Anniversary Magazine for a detailed account! (1.7MB)